Tuesday 28 April 2015

My Week as a Waitress

  You don't know me very well, I take this into account whilst writing this piece. All the same, I need you to imagine an oxymoron - a figure of speech containing contradictory terms; beggary riches; devout atheists; a cheerful pessimist; the likes there on of.. In this instance, I am your oxymoron. Think of me as a fish out of water, or a duck never taught to swim: if you take the fish from all it knows or put the duck in a situation you may feel to be second nature to its kind, your commupeance is to be undesired.

  After the reassurance and persuasions of my dear friend Harry I found myself with a job, a job where a hard day's work couldn't cover one of my many expenses I indulge monthly, yet a job nonetheless. The prospect of productivitiy seemed compelling and, having had a 2 hour trial shift waitressing, I started work the following day. I think the idea of spontaneity thrills us as humans, as I can genuinely say I enjoyed my first shift. Growing up my family were always rather conservative: we would dine at bistros or remote restaurants, so my experience of pubs and punters came from the likes of 'Eastenders', or the occasional day out to football with my mother's childhood friend. I went in doe-eyed and ill prepared.

  My first full day's work fell on the Friday of the Easter holidays, probably the worst day you could pick! Despite playing coy in most social situations; I posess a sagacious mind and impulsive tongue when put to the test, and instinctively use these skills to lead.. Which cannot always be to everyone's taste. From a leader's perspective these qualities are commendable, yet from a co-worker's can often lead to bitterness. The owner and manager ran a tight-knit ship, more to the former's taste rather than that of the latter, and since thus being a rather new establishment the latter still seemed to be grasping at her chance to shine. From day one I was treated with contempt, barely acknowledged and excluded from any idle chitchat. Though seeming to be comfortably situated, what with a partner and a home provided by the in-law, the latter still radiated this profound bitterness that took any warmth from the carefully sculpted ambience created by the pub itself. Despite a rather cold welcome, I didn't let another deter my efforts and persisted with the idea an unformed relationship could reconvene at a later date.

  As the weekend rush died down I began to put my vigilance to good use and depict the establishment. For one, the food was ABOMINABLE! Ever heard of the dish 'Beef 'n Bird'? No, me neither. There was quantity and not quality, and surely the latter is of higher importance when taking the family for a meal: you want a lasting impression, not stomach ache! You may think here I am over critical, yet I know from personal experience. Harry and I chose to dine one lunchtime in my first week, choosing a simple Panini and portion of chips; I returned home after and was violently sick! Aside from this, there were simple flaws in the pubs culinary antics: for instance, the chef tasted a gravy from the pan.. With his finger, and dropped a spatula and continued to use it without a wash. No wonder I fell ill after such a small meal!

  Although not entirely to blame, the staff stood by as I was harassed on several occasions whilst on shift here; including being cornered and told my affections for my boyfriend were unfounded by Scouse men. I underwent a five minute walk at night from the pub and staff safety, in my eyes, is of the upmost importance and in this instance I wasn't cared for appropriately, if you catch my drift. Other than this, I stood by as the windows were smashed with a baseball bat by an ex-lover of management seeking vengeance, and was referred to derogatorily on a daily basis.

  Maybe it's me, maybe I didn't have what it takes to hold my own in such environment. One thing's for certain: I shan't touch bar-work/waitressing with a barge pole, from now on. A pub is not a safe place for a young girl of eloquence, and I refuse to change my personal esteem in order to fit in. It's so important to stay true to yourself.

Melanie x

No comments:

Post a Comment